#AMillionDecisions, a joint campaign by Health Education England and CILIP, the library and information association, was successfully re-launched at the NHS Confed 17 exhibition, June 2017.
Sarah Hennessy, Co-Chair of CILIP Health Libraries Group reflects on NHS Confed 2017:
“As part of the #AMillionDecisions planning team, I attended to promote the campaign and Library and Knowledge Services in general.
This was a fantastic opportunity to chat informally with senior NHS leaders about how utilising the expertise of library services could help them to make decisions based on research evidence. I used a recently acquired skill in the art of high impact conversations, or ‘elevator pitches’, one of the many useful lessons from the HEE-CILIP Leadership Programme.
Some delegates did not know if they had access to a Library. Many more praised the service. Some expressed frustration at not having access to a service, especially once I’d mentioned some of the key benefits. Many went away enthused to make greater use of Library/Knowledge services.
We used name badge scanners; allowing people to quickly show support for the campaign and to capture contact details. Over seventy new contacts were made. These are being followed-up by HEE’s strategic library leads.
An added bonus was listening to my own NHS Trust Chief Executive, Rob Webster, host a panel discussion. A supporter of #AMillionDecisions, Rob is enabling us to reach a wider audience via his role as Lead of the West Yorkshire & Harrogate Sustainability and Transformation Partnership (STP)”
Supporting #AMillionDecisions: Please keep using campaign materials to promote the value of your work in ensuring healthcare decisions are evidence based.
- Use the #AMillionDecisions logo in e-mail signatures and posters
- Update people about the campaign
- Collect and share examples of the value you bring to your organisation
- Tweet creatively using #AMillionDecisions
- Reach out to NHS organisations who do not have access to a library/knowledge service. Work with your regional lead to shape services for these organisations
- Feed back about how you are using #AMillionDecisions – via the blog or via your regional library lead.
Plans are now being finalised for a Breakfast meeting for senior staff from various NHS bodies in October.
Sarah Hennessy, Co-Chair of CILIP Health Libraries Group