What is it?
The Evaluation Framework has been developed to meet the need to assess progress towards achieving the delivery of HEE’s vision for Knowledge for Healthcare and to demonstrate the significant contribution made by library and knowledge services. An Evaluation Framework is designed to provide a coherent approach to evaluating impact. It focuses on the difference a service wants to, or need to make, then works systematically to identify how you will know you are getting there and what you need to do to make this likely. The framework is based on the premise that it is usually very difficult to provide clear evidence of impact in complex systems such as healthcare. Therefore, the approach was taken to identify a series of indicators which, when taken together as a whole, would suggest that progress is being made in a particular area.
What should you use it for?
The Evaluation Framework is a good tool to support both service improvement and advocacy for your own service. Many of the indicators do relate to your own service and therefore will show how your service is contributing to the overall vision of Knowledge for Healthcare and against the six outcomes of the framework. The evidence you will be collecting for national submission will therefore also be valuable in the evaluation of your own service.
There are six impact objectives that make a clear statement of what we want to achieve and what will be different if we are successful. They are:
- Organisations are more effective in mobilising evidence and internally generated knowledge
- Patients, carers and the public are empowered to use information to make health and well-being choices
- Improved consistency and increased productivity and efficiency of Healthcare Library and Knowledge Services
- Enhanced quality of healthcare library and knowledge services
- Partnership working is the norm in delivering knowledge to healthcare
- Increased capability, confidence and capacity of library and knowledge services workforce
Links and useful resources
- The Framework
- More information about the Evaluation Framework from the KfH blog
- Evaluation Framework Frequently Asked Questions
- Evaluation Framework – Related Workstreams
Quality and Impact Working Group but covers the whole of the Knowledge for Healthcare Programme
Knowledge for Elfcare Slide deck
Download and view the presentation, click once to reveal the gift and again to find out more