We are pleased to provide a preview of the six new Quality and Improvement Outcomes (the Outcomes) for NHS library and knowledge services.
Development of these Outcomes has been based on the findings, feedback and learning from the pilot of the previously called Quality Improvement Standards carried out during 2018.
The new Outcomes will be going to the Health Education England Knowledge for Healthcare Board at the end of April for final approval. Launch of the Outcomes is expected to follow at the beginning of May 2019.
The six draft outcomes are:
1. All NHS organisations enable their workforce to freely access proactive library and knowledge services that meet organisational priorities within the framework of Knowledge for Healthcare.
2. All NHS decision making is underpinned by high quality evidence and knowledge mobilised by skilled library and knowledge specialists.
3. Library and knowledge specialists identify the knowledge and evidence needs of the workforce in order to deliver effective and proactive services.
4. All NHS organisations receive library and knowledge services provided by teams with the right skill mix to deliver on organisational and Knowledge for Healthcare priorities.
5. Library and knowledge specialists improve the quality of library and knowledge services using evidence from research, innovation and good practice.
6. Library and knowledge specialists demonstrate that their services make a positive impact on healthcare.
Each outcome will be underpinned with a defined scope and a self-evaluation model to support service improvement and development.
Following the launch, the first 12 months will require organisations to collect evidence and self-evaluate to establish a baseline against the new Outcomes.
Support for the launch and implementation of the Outcomes is being planned. It will include documentation, FAQs and a series of national webinars along with regional support through your networks.
The first webinar will provide an introduction to the new Outcomes. Please make a note of the dates, for your diaries, of the sessions for this webinar:
- 14th May – afternoon
- 15th May – afternoon
- 20th May – afternoon
- 21st May – afternoon
More details about registration and timings for the webinars will be available soon.
Briefings and communications are also being planned with senior managers across NHS organisations.
If you have any questions please do add a comment on the blog or send through to your regional contact below:
Clare Edwards, Deputy Head Library and Knowledge Services and Technology Enhanced Learning, Midlands and East firstname.lastname@example.org
Linda Ferguson (until 30 June 2019) Deputy Director of Health Library and Knowledge Services, North email@example.com
Dominic Gilroy Library and Knowledge Services Manager: Y&H, North firstname.lastname@example.org
Lucy Reid Deputy Head Library and Knowledge Services and Technology Enhanced Learning, London and Kent Surrey and Sussex email@example.com
Emma Ramstead Library and Knowledge Services Development Lead, London and Kent Surrey and Sussex firstname.lastname@example.org
Sue Robertson Knowledge Services Development Lead, South email@example.com