About the course
- This course was commissioned in 2012. It was led by Sandra Ward of Beaworthy Consulting and Ian Wooler formerly of IDW Consultancy.
- The content has been retained as it has useful exercises and information to complement the Value and Impact Toolkit.
- If you use any of the materials please make sure Sandra and Ian are are acknowledged as appropriate.
- Understand why calculating and demonstrating value is important to Library Services in today’s NHS.
- Explore the measures and practical approaches for assessing and expressing financial and non-financial value, and which will work in the NHS
- Identify ways in which information gathered via NHS costing techniques and impact toolkits can be used in powerful value statements for key stakeholders.
- Reflect on learning and consider actions to take forward with your organisation
These have been included so you can do the exercises yourself and compare your results with those from the four courses if you wish.
- Exercise 1 – ‘Build’ conversations to share LIS value stories
- Exercise 2 – A sense check: ‘traffic light’ your LIS
- Exercise 3 – Mapping techniques to services
- Exercise 4 – Cafe 1: The ingredients to create powerful value statements for a key stakeholder
- Exercise 4 – Café 2: The ingredients to create powerful value statements for a function or team
- Exercise 4 –Café 3: The ingredients to create powerful value statements for an organisation
- Exercise 4 – Sheets for knowledge cafes
Outputs from the four courses
Each of the slide decks contains:
- Pre-course survey results
- Outputs from the four exercises and discussions
- Summary discussion on what was learnt
Slide deck from Birmingham, London and York
Slide deck from Bristol
These slide decks may not be accessible. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you require any of the documents in an accessible format.
The glossary and short bibliography contains terms and definitions and some further reading up to 2011