|Training and support||OpenAthens regional statistics||Administrator rights||Future developments|
OpenAthens and the Ovid Discovery Service Link Resolver underpin the discovery of purchased and other content. They ensure that users have access to the content they are authorised to use.
JISC provides OpenAthens and NICE funds it.
Wolters Kluwer provides the link resolver. HEE and NICE jointly fund it.
There are local, regional, and national administrators. The regional and national administrators are:
|London, Kent, Surrey and Sussex [OpenAthens and Link Resolver]||Jenny Turner and team|
|Midlands and East [OpenAthens and Link Resolver]||Elizabeth Wright and team|
|North [OpenAthens]||Anne Roberts|
|North [Link Resolver]||Andrew Craig|
|South [OpenAthens] – South West||Catherine Micklethwaite and team|
|South [OpenAthens] – Thames Valley and Wessex||Helen Williams and team|
|South [Link Resolver]||Helen Williams|
|National Administrator||Fran Wilkie and team|
Training and Support
- Resources for administrators on the NICE website
- OpenAthens training videos– these don’t cover NHS specific functions such as eligibility, rejection reasons, how NICE’s OpenAthens Hub interacts with the OpenAthens administrator dashboard, or audit and reporting tools.
- OpenAthens eligibility
- Link Resolver Help
OpenAthens Regional Statistics
The OpenAthens reports comprise:
- Account totals for each OpenAthens organisation
- Account totals for each OpenAthens organisation as a % of organisational headcount*
- Unique successful account authentications for each OpenAthens organisation
- % of accounts being used (unique successful logins / total number of accounts x 100)
*Note that trust headcounts are taken from NHS Digital workforce data for January each year. They will not include students on placement within trusts and may not account for changes or mergers that may have taken place during the year.
To compare your organisation with others:
- Go to the organisational pivot tables tab
- Pick the chart of interest
- Click on the grey ‘organisation’ tab
- Deselect all organisations and select the ones you are interested in
How to request administrator rights
- Contact your regional OA administrator. You will be emailed a GDPR statement
- Send a reply to the email to Fran.Wilkie@nice.org.uk stating that you understand and agree to use the data as set out in this statement.
- If you are the administrator for multiple organisations, you only need to reply once, indicating the organisations for which you are responsible.
- If you share administrator duties with anyone else, they must also follow steps 2-3.
- Contact your regional lead (see above). Tell them whether you are an additional administrator for your organisation or replacing a previous administrator.
- The regional lead will confirm receipt of the request.
- Once you have received confirmation, go to https://admin.odslr.com and login with your personal OpenAthens account. You won’t be able to access the Admin area.
- Go to My Profile. Your name and email address will have been anonymised. Overtype with your name and email address. Click Save.
- Contact your regional lead when you have done this, stating the OpenAthens org name(s) and OpenAthens org ID(s) of the organisation(s) you will be administering. You may find these details by searching this list.
- Your regional lead will forward these details to Fran Wilkie at NICE who will activate Administrator rights for you. She will email to confirm when this is done.
- Complex sign-on procedures are a significant barrier for users.
- HEE is looking at what future models for authentication and single sign on might look like.
- For more information, please contact: Lucy Reid.
[Page last updated: 6 July 2020]